After painting so much infantry, I decided that the next step of the mission of the month would be the Tiger. Again I will also take the opportunity of this article to share with you what I think of the Tiger I Ausf. E kit from Italeri/Warlord.
I don’t really have anything to say in term of value for this tank. You can find it at around 27€. Compared to other wargame kits at this scale it’s in the middle price range. Compared to other non-wargaming model kits at similar scales, I find it a little bit overpriced. Let’s see if the quality and assembly justify it…
2. Quality and assembly
…and they don’t 😦 It’s not a bad kit, actually I really enjoyed painting it, but I just think it’s a little bit overpriced for the quality and assembly options you get.
In term of quality, there is no problematic mold line and the amount of details is ok. The worst part are the tracks. At the end, I had to use green stuff to fill some gaps between the tracks. That’s quite sad…
In term of assembly, the number of pieces is quite low so the assembly is easy. The problem is the assembly options. There is virtually none. In addition there are two spare tracks directly molded on both sides of the turret (see picture below), which are right where the tank number decals should be applied. That was problematic for me as I was inspired by the picture of a real Tiger in Tunisia. If I knew this I would definitely have bought another kit.
Painting this Tiger was quite the opposite than with the infantry, meaning that I really enjoyed painting it! I wanted a battered tank, whit a lot of weathering to simulate the harsh desert environnement. I started by applying my secret purple-orange rust primer coat. I then airbrushed a coat of chipping effect from AK-interactive. I then applied a desert yellow coat, highlighted with a sand color. I then scratched the paint using a wet brush, painted the small details and tracks. And voila!
PS: I know, I know, there was no zimmerit on the Tiger in Afrika Korps. I should have been more carefull when selecting which kit to use, but anyway I still like a lot the final result.