As an example of my previous post about my 2-levels painting technique (see here), I’m going to show you here how I painted the step 1 of my new blood pact army.
Remember the objectives of the step 1 are:
– three to four colors, most of it applied with airbrush (if possible),
– one or two rough brown and/or black washes,
– a basic basing (eg: sand painted in brown and brushed in beige)
So the first thing I did was to choose my paint scheme. Unsurprisingly, the main color would be terracota red as it is the typical colour of Blood Pact. the second color would be bolter metalgun for the weapons and armour. The third color would be white for the skin (I wanted them to look palish). For the fourth color I wanted to add some contrast and I found my inspiration on Dave Taylor website (this guy is my hero, his armies are just gorgeous!). I think yellow is a great color as it highlights the backpack/respirator and it adds a nice contrasting color to the minis and to the army as a whole. Here is the link to the pics that inspired me: davetaylorminiatures.
So using my airbrush (a badger 150) I applied directly the terracota red on the whole army. Then I also applied the bolter metal gun on the weapons and armour with my airbrush and without worrying much about precision.
After airbrushing the two main colors, I painted with a brush the remaining colors: white for the skin and yellow for the backpack. I also corrected the eventual overlaying from the metal boltergun layer with some terracota red.
I then applied a rough devlan mud brown wash on each minis.
Finally, the basing simply consisted in sand with PVA glue, a layer of brown acrylic paint and dry-brushing with beige paint.
And voila! Here is a 2k painted Blood Pact Army!